Refresh customers, communities, nature by providing world class sustainable outdoor adventure experiences
Serve as instructor. Instructors will deliver half-day, full-day, residential programs, expedition programs and kids camp in Minakami and other locations for Grade 3 - 12 students. Each program is customised to support the school and students goals Outdoor education programs require teamwork, soft skills and plenty of flexibility, hard working combined with the guiding skills. As an educator we expect you to behave in professional manners and safely entertain our students, seeking to provide the best possible experience.
Minakami, Gunma, Japan and other locations
* Throughout the season, you may be rotated onto trips/expeditions in other locations.
● Facilitate programs tailored to each school/students
● Leading and mentoring students
● Performs occasional overnight expedition programs in the backcountry
● Performs occasional night shifts; such as evening activities, debriefing, night watch, etc.
● Performs occasional drivers, camera responsibilities.
● Clean base facilities such as toilets, shower rooms, changing rooms and cars.
● Packs equipment, unpacks, cleans, and puts away all trip gear after trip. Stacks and ties down boats.
● Washes and hangs out trip rental gear and lifejackets.
● Puts away all dry gear each morning (wetsuits, shoes, lifejackets etc.).
● Pick-up and drop-off when assigned.
● Welcome school/students
● Safety briefing for school/students
● Fits lifejackets, wetsuits, harness and other rental gear for school/students
● Repairs or replaces equipment damaged or lost due to gross negligence that was specific to the instructor's responsibility.
● Completes and turns in incident and accident reports when necessary immediately following the incident or accident.
● Sees that post trip meetings address any issues from the day.
● Looks for ways to better serve the guest and the company, brings new ideas to management if it involves policy change.
● Maintains a good sense of humour and cooperative attitude in dealing with co-workers and students/teachers.
● Is expected to behave in a professional manner at all times.
● Learn about the natural environment and history of the area and share knowledge with students.
● Treats students in a manner that makes them feel respected, valued, liked and cared for.
● Performs other responsibilities as assigned. Other duties may include helping other departments such as kitchen, accommodation cleaning and office.
● Ensure compliance with Canyons Child Protection policy, procedures and standards
Evaluated on thoroughness in performing duties, attitude, punctuality, ability to operate as a team player, initiative, mature judgement, relationships with co-workers, management and guests, flexibility, and willingness to learn.
● 18 years old or older
● Be physically fit
● Must be able to work weekends and holidays
● Be available to work a minimum of one summer season (April-October)
● Have a professional attitude
● Work long hours and not be subject to burnout and moodiness
● Work well under pressure
● Be a team player
● Purchase instructing equipment
● Being able to camp overnight in tents or mountain huts; travelling to/from location according to the program needs
● Compliance with Canyons Child Protection policy