Refresh customers, communities, nature by providing world class sustainable outdoor adventure experiences
Serve as canyoning guide. Guides will run primarily half-day and full-day trips on the level 1-3 canyons in Minakami and Okutama.
Also guides may be rotated onto occasional trips on some of the canyons that we run. Guide’s primary responsibility is to safely entertain our guests, seeking to provide the best possible experience. Guides will be a member of a high-standard company which emphasises quality, customer service, and teamwork.
Canyons have a large demand for outdoor education programs, which also includes kids camps throughout the season, and as part of Canyons team, you may be asked to instruct/facilitate those programs activities. Outdoor education programs require teamwork, soft skills and plenty of flexibility, together with the guiding skills. As an educator we expect you to behave in professional manners and safely entertain our students, seeking to provide the best possible experience. Majority of the programs will be in Minakami, occasionally there will be programs in other locations. See details in Outdoor Education Instructor Job Description.
Minakami, Gunma, Japan and/or Okutama, Tokyo, Japan and/or Kiho, Mie, Japan
* Throughout the season, you may be rotated onto occasional trips/expeditions in other locations.
● Guides will run primarily half-day and full-day canyoning trips. Majority of trips will be in Minakami or Okutama canyons.
● Runs occasional trips on other canyons.
● Performs occasional land safety responsibilities.
● Performs occasional drivers, camera responsibilities.
● Clean base facilities such as toilets, shower rooms, changing rooms and cars.
● Packs equipment, unpacks, cleans, and puts away all trip gear after trip. Stacks and ties down boats.
● Washes and hangs out trip rental gear and lifejackets.
● Puts away all dry gear each morning (wetsuits, shoes, lifejackets etc.).
● Guests pick-up and drop-off when assigned.
● Welcome guests, collect tour fee and check-in procedures when assigned.
● After the tour guides are expected to socialise with the tour guests.
● Safety briefing for guests
● Fits lifejackets, wetsuits, harness and other rental gear for guests.
● Repairs or replaces equipment damaged or lost due to gross negligence that was specific guide’s responsibility.
● Completes and turns in incident and accident reports when necessary immediately following the incident or accident.
● Sees that post trip meetings address any issues from the day.
● Looks for ways to better serve the guest and the company, brings new ideas to management if it involves policy change.
● Maintains a good sense of humour and cooperative attitude in dealing with co-workers and guests.
● Is expected to behave in a professional manner at all times.
● Learn about the natural environment and history of the area and share knowledge with guests.
● Treats guests in a manner that makes them feel respected, valued, liked and cared for.
● Performs other responsibilities as assigned. Other duties may include helping other departments such as kitchen, accommodation cleaning and guest services.
Evaluated on thoroughness in performing duties, attitude, punctuality, ability to operate as a team player, initiative, mature judgement, relationships with co-workers, management and guests, flexibility, and willingness to learn.
● 18 years old or older
● Current CPR
● Be physically fit
● Must be able to work weekends and holidays
● Be available to work a minimum of one summer season (April-October)
● Have a professional attitude
● Work long hours and not be subject to burnout and moodiness
● Work well under pressure
● Be a team player
● Purchase guiding equipment